Wednesday 8 June 2011

Light

The view from my window, 5:45 am.
One of the first things I studied this year in Performance Design was the impact of light. I never really paid much attention to it, but now I find myself noticing it's effect on everything, everywhere, and can't stop snapping photos. (light is probably a novelty for me because I haven't been awake in the morning for about two months.)
When was the last time you watched the sun rise from your window? Or been outside at 5:00am when the birds are singing and the sky is a sort of light, eggshell colour? Wow.
(Incidentally my favourite recent example of brilliant light-usage is Joe Wrights 'Hanna.' )

3. Light:

"Light" by Jess Milton
So. Light.
Well, I decided to do something really anecdotal. My friend Liz, who is currently writing a blog about her ridiculously exciting travels in Mongolia and other far away places, is really good at telling stories. One that stuck in my mind was a nightmare she used to have when she was little - that during the night, if light touched her she would explode or dissolve or melt into some sort of Liz-puddle. Anyway, she would be terrified and try to get to her parents' room, only to find a door slightly ajar; throwing a big sheet of light on the floor. She'd sit there for hours, unable to cross it, waiting for the sun to rise. 
If it was anyone else, I'd be reluctant to divulge that information at risk of her sounding totally insane. (Luckily for me her insanity is basically common knowledge.)


No comments:

Post a Comment